July 25, 2018

Solo Parenting Weekend

We can file this under the most self-less thing I've ever done.

I knew Scott would have to go back to Colorado eventually to take care of the house situation there.  Putting off that house is not a productive means of procrastination. He'd been in Wyoming for two weekends in a row and he offered to stay another and I more or less made him go. He wanted to take the dogs. That was fine, I supposed. It's not like I couldn't get them out (Wells and I have been for a walk each day anyway, and I even managed to take the dogs and the baby by myself last week), but the tremendous guilt I feel when they're unnecessarily away from Scott is too much for me to handle. They needed the trip back to chase bunnies and spend time with Scott.

He offered for me to come too, or he said he'd come right back if I couldn't handle it. I said I'd pack up and head to Colorado if I really needed to. But, truthfully, there's still nothing for me to do there and I wouldn't even know where to start when it came to packing up everything we'd need for the baby. So I might as well do nothing here and keep the baby on his schedule (ha ha ha). I plan on going back to Colorado with Wells soon-ish because there's many people I want him to meet, but I'm hoping to put that off for a month or so, and maybe wait til it's not 100 degrees every day.

So Scott left Thursday evening and I spent five days (and five nights) solo with a newborn.

I'm not a night owl. In fact, being in bed by 9pm on any night (weekday, summer, weekend, vacation, etc) is preferable to me. Scott had been doing the night feedings, usually around 11:00pm, 2:00am, 5:00am, etc. My "job" has been to get up around 7:00 or 8:00am, feed the baby, feed the dogs, make breakfast, etc, and then Scott had been sleeping in until 9:00am or so since he can set his own schedule this summer with his research project.

So this was a shift for me.

Anyway, here's some pictures.

His nails grow like crazy so until Scott is around to cut them again, it's mittens. He was born with talons.

I stopped to take off my jacket on the trail the other day. He slept right through that. 

My takeaway was really just that it was lonely. I was held to a feeding and pumping schedule of every 2-3 hours. With broken sleep, I didn't have the energy to tackle projects during the day...seriously, I worked at a very simple to-do list for 5 days ("dust", "cut up cardboard", "take out trash", "thank you cards", etc.). I will say that a newborn is almost easier to take care of than a dog, but I know a dog will just go to sleep at night and not bother me until daylight, so I suppose it all evens out.

Along with the schedule that we're trying to implement with Wells, I realized verrrry quickly that I literally know no one here. The only people I know in Laramie are the occasional pleasantries I've exchanged with random people Scott knows. I don't think I even remember anyone's name. (Because we're awful people) We don't even really talk to the neighbors. So, in many ways, I can't wait to get him to Colorado to meet my friends.

I could go to Target or wherever but it seems like I'd just end up spending money unnecessarily in that case. And if I'm not willing to drive back to Colorado Springs to our own house with the baby right now, I might as well just stay home for the weekend.

So mainly I just browsed non-maternity clothes online and tried to research when I can start Pilates/yoga again (I miss it and it's only been two weeks).

Other than that, I finished UnReal and I will say that season 4 was just as good as season 1 (seasons 2 and 3 didn't impress me) and Rachel is the worst. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I also was able to really watch The Bachelorette for the first time in weeks (uh, at 5am yesterday), so I have some thoughts on that for Friday.

Today we have a doctor's appointment for a 2-week check-up and, now that Scott is back, I think I'll actually cook something for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!